Friendship Peak Expedition
About Friendship Peak Expedition
One of the most famous summits for trekking in the Indian Himalayan region, the Friendship peak looming at an elevation of 5,289 metres in the Pir Panjal range in Himachal Pradesh is a trekker’s paradise. From the summit, one can feast his eyes on the panoramic view of the Pir Panjal range, against the back of silver horizons formed by the Dhauladhar and Great Himalayan ranges. The Friendship Peak Trek is one of the most challenging treks in Himachal Pradesh and before trekking here, one should have prior high experience of travelling at high altitudes. The journey passes through the beautiful Solang Valley, featuring several alpine meadows, thick forest dotted with varied species of alpine trees, colourful orchards and crisscrossed by numerous small and gushing streams. The trail will start throwing challenges, when at a high altitude, tourists will have to climb over the thick bed of snow, and trek over glaciated tracks and narrow ridges. Other than the breathtaking horizon, the major attractions on the Friendship Peak Trek are Hadimba Temple in Manali, hot water springs of Vashisht and Naggar Roerich Art Gallery.
The Friendship Peak trek commences from Solang, a valley which is a couple of hours drive from Manali, located at an elevation of 2,050 metres. From Solang, one will have to trek uphill till Bakarthach (3050 m), after passing through the lush green valley and thick forest. Further, the trek will continue to the base camps- I & II of the Friendship peak. All the action starts on the trail from base camp II as trekking will have to climb over the thick bed of snow and follows to the summit. After that, the journey follows a gradual trek downhill towards Bakarthach and further leads down to Solang and ends at Manali.
Since it is a trek, located at a high elevation, it requires acclimatisation at certain altitudes and fitness on the part of the trek. June, July, September and October are the best time of the year to go for the Friendship Peak Trek.
DAY 1: Delhi – Manali
AC Volvo from the meeting points in Delhi will start at 6 in the evening. Within 12-13 hours, you will reach Manali. Overnight journey in AC Volvo.
DAY 2 : Manali
After 12-13 hours arduous Volvo journey, tourists will reach Manali by morning. On arrival, tourists will be transferred to the hotel. On this day, you can explore Manali. Overnight stay at the hotel.
DAY 3: Manali -Solang Nala – Bakerthach (3500mts/11480Bmt)
This exciting trek to Friend peak will begin with a trek through one of the most popular trekking routes in Himachal Pradesh. Early morning, a jeep will transfer you to Solang Valley, where you will check in a hotel. After breakfast in the Solang Valley hotel, you will load your baggage into vehicles, followed by a departure to the starting point of the trek, Dundi. On the third day, you will travel till Bakerthach via Palchani Tach. Trekkers can use the rest of the day to explore Bakerthach. Dinner is served in the Bakerthach camps.
DAY 4 : Bakertach Camp – Beas Kund Base Camp 3690m
After breakfast, trekkers will start their trek to the first basecamp, Beas Kund, a holy river of Himachal Pradesh. Beas Kund is a known stopover point for many other trekking trails like Shitidhar, Ladakhi, Manali. The trek takes you to the Base camp while passing by the Beas Kund Glacier. Lunch and dinner will be served at the camp in Beas Kund. Overnight stay at the camp.
DAY 5: Full day in Beas Kund Base Camp
After breakfast, tourists will attend a training session in which they will be told about equipment and their usage. In this training course, guides will prepare you to brave to the snow glaciers, which you might cross in coming days. Time is allowed to get used to the climbing gear including harness, crampons and climbing boots. You get familiar with your equipment and you learn how to arrest properly slope falls. After the training sessions, tourist will go for lunch, followed by packing for the advance camping. Dinner and overnight stay in the Beaskund camp.
Day 06: Base camp – Advance camp
After breakfast, you will trek uphill for approximately 4-5 hours to the advance base camp. Amidst the mountain ranges, the location of the advanced base camp is picturesque. While relishing, the view of the hills, trekkers will set their tents. From the advanced base camp site, one can see the view of the beautiful ranges like Hanuman Tibba, Maker Beh, Shiker Beh and the grandest Friendship peak. Dinner and overnight stay in the advanced base camp.
Day 07:Reserved day for summit attempts – Bakarthach
Early morning, around 3 AM, the journey to the peak will start. From the base camp, you will have to walk for 6 hours to the reach the summit. It will be a steep trek; you will pass through glaciers, snow peak and cross various crevasses. If everything goes as planned, trekkers will be able to reach the summit by 9 in the morning. From the top of the hill, tourists will be able to see the uninterrupted view of neighbouring mountains, towns like Lahaul & Spiti and Manali. After spending some time at the summit, tourist will go back to the advanced base camp for lunch. Following lunch, they will trek downhill till Bakarthach camp. Overnight stay in Bakarthach camp.
Day 08: Back to Manali
Return the same way to civilisation. On the eighth day, after the breakfast trekkers will descend to the starting point of the trek, Dhundi. From Dhundi, a four tyre vehicle will take you to Manali. After lunch, you will get an opportunity to explore Manali. Make sure that you take a look at Hadimba, the hot water springs of Vashisht and maybe even the Naggar Roerich Art Gallery. A dinner is arranged at the Manali hotel where you are staying.
Day 09: Manali and Delhi
On a ninth day, tourist can explore Manali. At 04:30 PM, AC Volvo will arrive at the hotel, which will take you back to Delhi. Overnight journey in Volvo.
Day 10: Delhi
Arrival in Delhi in the early morning, the adventure of the Friend’s peak trekking comes to an end.
Tour & Services End.
- Highly advanced, Professional & certified mountaineering (Instructor/guide) from Himalaya Destination.
- Skilled local Guide who has ample knowledge of the route.
- Vegetarian meals on the Climbing. (Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner)
- Cooks/Helper and other requisite staff.
- HAF/LAF/Porters/mules for carrying common equipments (like rations/tents/utensils/and Central climbing Equipment)
- Equipments – Tents on sharing basis / Sleeping bags / Sleeping Mattress/ Sleeping bag Inner
- During Trek & Expedition we will provide you Dome/Alpine/High Altitude tents on twin sharing basis. Camping mattresses, kitchen tent, dining tent, camping stool etc would be provided.
- Personal Porters for carrying Climber’s backpacks
- Air fare
- Any charges for carrying still/video cameras etc.
- Personal expenses like tips, telephone calls, laundry, etc.
- Group Gears for climbing e.g. rope, pitons, snow bars, crabs etc
- Individual Climbing Gears and clothing; special individual mountain diet if any
Inner Line Permit.
- Personal insurance or cost of emergency evacuation
- Purchases of personal natures (like Alcohol, Soft drink, mineral water bottles/bottled or canned beverages/chocolates/dry fruits etc)
- Food to/from the trailhead.
- IMF Permissions and Registration.
- Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances like landslides, road blocks, bad weather, etc.
- Travel insurance.
- GST 5%.
- Duffel bag Down/synthetic camp booties
- Sunglasses, Light gloves
- Sleeping bag
- Flashlight/Headlamp with extra batteries
- One liter water bottles wide mouthed
- Trekking Boots
- Water purification/filter
- Camp shoes/sneakers
- Walking stick/Trekking pole
- Cotton socks
- Note book with pens and pencils
- Gore-Tex jacket
- Lip balm
- Light wind jacket Sunscreen / Moisturiser
- Down jacket/vest
- Camp towel/towel/sarong
- Fleece jacket/vest
- Personal toiletries
- Personal medicines
- Money pouch/belt
- Trekking pants
- Energy bars
- Thermal tops
- Vitamin tablets
- Thermal bottom
- Extra passport photos
- Warm hat and Bandana/scarf
- Sun hat/baseball cap
- Wind- and rain-gear with hood
- Swiss Army Knives (Classic pocket tool)
- One pair cotton trousers or shorts
- Two cotton shirts/T-Shirts One warmer (jacket with hood)
Price On Request
09 Night – 10 Days
Locations: - Manali Himachal Pradesh
Grade: - Difficult
Accommodation: - Hotel/Guesthouse, Campsite
Season: - May – September
Highest Altitude: - 5289 mts
Food:- On trek – All meals included
Style of trip - Climbing